Richard Petty Motorsports will continue to field Ford’s for the 2016 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Season.
On Tuesday a formal announcement was made by the team which fields two entries in the top NASCAR series as well as a team in the Xfinity Series.
“Our relationship with Ford Performance has a history, a present and now a future of winning races and competing for championships,” said Richard Petty, co-owner, Richard Petty Motorsports. “As we took on additional internal responsibilities within our organization over the past 12 months, Dave Pericak and his team at Ford Performance have been with us supporting Richard Petty Motorsports each step of the way. And to know they will continue to be our partner is very important to our combined desire to make RPM a championship caliber organization.”
RPM moved over to Ford as their manufacture for the 2010 season after previously running Dodge cars.
“Richard Petty Motorsports has made steady progress since joining our program, and we’re looking forward to seeing them take that next step to being a consistent Chase participant,” said Dave Pericak, director, Ford Performance. “We feel they have the people in place to achieve that goal, and we’re going to do everything we can to provide them the resources to make that happen.”
While Aric Almirola will return to the No. 43 Ford next season with sponsorship for 29 races coming from Smithfield there has been no announcement from RPM about the No. 9 car currently driven by Sam Hornish Jr.
“Really, what it’s going to boil down to is funding, where that funding comes from,” CEO Brian Moffitt said via NBC Sports. “We like Sam. We hope that that can continue there, but we’re also looking at all options.”