Michael Waltrip Racing will cut back to two full-time cars in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series beginning in 2014. Martin Truex Jr., driver of No. 56 Toyota Camry, has been told to look elsewhere for job opportunities.
After an eventful night at Richmond International Speedway that saw teammate Clint Bowyer spin out to help Truex earn a birth in the 2013 Chase, NASCAR stepped in and penalized Truex and MWR. As part of fallout longtime sponsor Napa left MWR.
Unable to find sponsorship that would extend the entire 2014 season reports began to circulate that MWR would function as a two car team in 2014. Those rumors became true on Monday when MWR began informing employees of its decision to downsize.
MWR will run two teams in 2014 with Clint Bowyer driving the No. 15 car and Brian Vickers in the No. 55 car. Vickers will not run anymore races in 2013 due to blood clots, this time in his right leg.
Those individuals who are going to be released at the end of the season have been told to look elsewhere for jobs immediately as the team announced a restructure for the 2014 season. Those looking for jobs include driver Martin Truex who has previously been linked to the No. 78 car of Furniture Row Racing.
Furniture Row had been waiting for Truex to make a decision, now it appears a deal between the two could be announced as soon as this week.
“Today was about doing what we had to do not what we wanted to do,” said part owner Rob Kauffman. “It was important to let those whose jobs were affected know as early as possible, and a majority of those will remain with MWR through the end of the season.”
The No. 56 car driven by Truex will run on a limited basis in 2014. More details are expected to emerge this weekend in regards to the future of that team.