Michael Andretti would like to find a way to have Juan Pablo Montoya return to IndyCar.
“I have talked to Juan about IndyCar and told him ‘Hell yeah, let’s find a way to put something together,’ ” Andretti told The Associated Press on Monday. “It just comes down to sponsorship. So we’re looking, and if it’s a possibility, we want to do something with him.”
Montoya is a free agent after Chip Ganassi opted not to bring the Colombian driver back for a eighth NASCAR Sprint Cup season. The 37-year-old Montoya has not competed in open wheel racing since leaving Formula One in 2006. He said last week that he would be willing to race for any team who could win races.
Montoya won 11 races in 1999 and 2000 in CART driving for Ganassi, including the 1999 CART championship and the 2000 Indianapolis 500.