Spoiling the fun, NASCAR to ditch wing

NAPA 500 X BlaneyAfter the wheels began to turn on rumors about NASCAR switching from the wing back to a spoiler it happened. NASCAR informed the teams earlier today that it has scheduled an open test at Charlotte Motor Speedway for the upcoming transition from a rear wing to a spoiler.

There had been talks individually with teams but nothing official. Recently Elliott Sadler said that there was nothing to the rumors, and while Sadler and others may not have been expecting anything to come of the talks it has.

Cup Series director John Darby released the following to teams


“To help put some of the rumor mills to rest, I am sending you the following facts as they relate to changes for 2010,” Darby wrote in the memo, a copy of which was obtained by The Associated Press. “We will be transitioning from the usage of the current wing to an aluminum spoiler.”

The March 28 event at Martinsville is the first race that could see the new spoiler. The season opens Feb. 14 with the Daytona 500, Martinsville is the sixth race on the schedule.

Darby explained in the memo that NASCAR’s goal in returning to a rear spoiler is to adjust the downforce and balance that is being produced on the current car. Fans have claimed that the winged car has made the racing unexciting and it’s even been joked that the cars look a lot like grocery carts.

As with everything in NASCAR, the size and shape of the spoiler has yet to be determined and there is no supplier lined up yet.

Darby said the size and shape of the spoiler will not be determined until NASCAR has a chance to do wind tunnel testing on the car, and once decided, a supplier will be selected to produce the part. Teams will have to purchase the spoiler from the selected supplier.

Sign Up Tireball Sports E-mail Newsletter

  • NASCAR News Delivered To Your Inbox!
  • Hottest Stories In NFL, MLB, NHL & More
  • Easy Access to Our Website

One e-mail sent every morning - join now!