Chargers planning to keep Philip Rivers at QB

Getty Images

Getty Images

There has been a lot of talk about the San Diego Chargers drafting a quarterback early in the upcoming NFL Draft. Current starter Philip Rivers is on the last year of his deal and does not desire to play in Los Angeles should the Chargers move there. Despite all this the club is sticking with Rivers.

“There really is no update,” general manager Tom Telesco said Wednesday. “It’s the same thing I’ve said for the last four months, Philip’s our quarterback and it’s our plan and intent that he’s our quarterback well into the future.

“In all my discussions with him, he’s shown a great amount of respect for his teammates and a great amount of respect for this organization. He’s been here every day working extremely hard working with his teammates being the leader that he is. … I know he’s really excited about this season, as are we, and we move from there.”

There has been plenty of talk that the Chargers have communicated with the Tennessee Titans about acquiring the No. 2 overall pick in order to draft former Oregon Ducks signal caller Marcus Mariota.

“I’m going to let that question go,” responded Telesco about those rumors.

Rivers finished the 2014 season with a 93.8 quarterback rating. 4,286 yards passing and a 31:18 touchdown to interception ratio.

“I’ve been crystal clear what our plan and intent are, I don’t know what else to say,” he said. “He’s our quarterback. And hopefully for many, many years moving forward. I think he’s got a lot of good years left in him. Through eight games last year, he was an MVP candidate, so we are thrilled to have him.”