NASCAR considering penalty for Kurt Busch

Officials for NASCAR are considering whether to further discipline driver Kurt Busch after he ignored requests to stop his car following a wreck on lap 98 at Talladega Superspeedway. Busch was parked for the remainder of the race after he drove away while emergency workers were attempting to provide him with assistance.

Busch has been on probation since unacceptable verbal comments were made towards reporter Bob Pockrass in June. NASCAR suspended him for the Sprint Cup race at Pocono.

The volatile driver parted ways with Penske Racing following the season finale last year in what was called a mutual agreement. Busch then signed a one year contract with Phoenix Racing to drive the No. 1 Chevrolet. Busch said joining Phoenix Racing would provide a chance for him to enjoy racing again.

As the Sprint Cup season has worn on it has become clear that Busch and Phoenix Racing had different ideas about the competitiveness of the cars of the organization. Busch recently signed a contract with Furniture Row Racing to drive the No. 78 machine starting at Charlotte, that is if NASCAR allows him to race this coming weekend.

In an odd twist of fate Regan Smith who had been driving the No. 78 car will assume Busch’s seat at Phoenix Racing for the Charlotte race.

Once parked on Sunday, Busch told reporters that he was trying to get the car back to the garage so his team could fix it. He claims he did not hear the requests to park the car because he had not placed his helmet on. Busch also took time to hug and thanks his crew at Phoenix Racing.

Sign Up Tireball Sports E-mail Newsletter

  • NASCAR News Delivered To Your Inbox!
  • Hottest Stories In NFL, MLB, NHL & More
  • Easy Access to Our Website

One e-mail sent every morning - join now!