Even with a tie on Sunday in their match against Portugal the United States Men’s National Soccer Team is still in position to move to the second round. Of course being in position to advance and doing so are different.
Below Tireball Sports lists all the possible scenarios that could see the USA move onto the second round via US Soccer’s website.
- The U.S. would clinch a spot in the Round of 16 with a draw against Germany.
- Due to Germany’s advantage in goal differential over the U.S. (plus-4 for Germany compared to plus-1 for U.S.), the U.S. would need to win the final group match to win the group.
- Should the U.S. lose its final match against Germany, the USA would still advance to the Round of 16 with either:
- A Portugal victory against Ghana
- A Ghana-Portugal draw, or
- A Ghana win against Portugal (as long as the U.S.) maintains its current goal differential lead against Ghana (the U.S. holds a plus-one goal differential)