Ryan Newman, driver of the No. 39 Quicken Loans Chevrolet for Stewart Haas Racing was given his walking papers earlier this season, leaving him, like many other drivers out of a ride for 2014.
Now that those drivers are shaping up their future plans, it is time for Newman to do the same.
Newman said he found out about SHR’s expansion like everyone else did, first as rumors, then through the formal announcement on Tuesday.
Kurt Busch, current driver of the No. 78 for Furniture Row Racing signed a deal with SHR to drive the fourth car for the team. The same team Newman was told he wouldn’t be back with next season.
Newman said he found the whole ordeal amusing, “It was humorous,” Newman told NASCAR.com; “To me it was more funny, than any kind of frustration from my end. In the end, it won’t affect me. Obviously, it frees up a situation for 2014 but in the end it doesn’t affect me.”
Newman said he knew nothing of the deal, “If they didn’t tell Stewart why would they tell me.” Newman joked.
Juan Pablo Montoya was also given his walking papers last month, with the announcement that Kyle Larson will be the driver of the No. 42 next season. Austin Dillion is rumored to be moving up with Richard Childress Racing. Veteran driver Mark Martin is still looking for a partial ride as Brian Vickers moves full time in the No. 55 next season.
Just Thursday, AJ Allmendinger signed a three year contract to drive the No. 47, the car he had driven in place of Bobby Labonte a few races this season.
One thing Newman brings with him is partial sponsorship from Quicken Loans, which should be sparking some teams interest.
Newman said he expects to announce his plans soon. “I don’t know the when, how or what or where or anything else, but I feel confident (the announcement will take in next few weeks),” he said.