Chase Elliott returns to competition this weekend at Sonoma Raceway after a one-race suspension.
Elliott missed the last race at World Wide Technology Raceway after it was ruled that he wrecked Denny Hamlin on purpose during the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
“I think certainly it was an unfortunate circumstance on many accounts,” Elliott told NASCAR.com. “And I hate that we’re in the position that we’re in. Obviously, it’s been a pretty wild year, even prior to last week or two weeks ago. But yeah, look, I mean, I hate that I put our team and our partners and our fans and all the folks that make this go in a tough spot. Certainly glad Denny’s OK, and I understand NASCAR’s call and what they felt like they needed to do. So I respect all that.”
— NASCAR (@NASCAR) June 6, 2023
“For me personally, just looking forward to getting back to work and just trying to get in a groove because I don’t really feel like I’ve been in one throughout the year,” Elliott said. “It’s been kind of stop-and-go all season, unfortunately. But the way I see it is there’s 11 races left (in the regular season), and we pretty much need to go win one of those to get in the show. So that’s where my head’s at right now.”