Following Denny Hamlin’s win this weekend at Kansas word came from Joe Gibbs Racing president J.D. Gibbs that the organization was working closely with Toyota on a deal that would ensure the team ran Camrys going forward.
The words “we’ll be with Toyota for a long time to come” spoken by Gibbs ended any speculation that the organization would run Dodge powered cars in 2013. Dodge has been seeking an organization to run their cars following the news that Penske Racing would drive Ford powered cars in 2013.
Gibbs currently has three cars at the NASCAR Sprint Cup level with drivers Hamlin, Kyle Busch, and Joey Logano.
With JGR off the market the manufacturer may have to turn to Richard Petty Motorsports who has a long history with Dodge. RPM currently fields Fords with help from Roush Fenway Racing. Over the weekend the organization said that a return to Dodge was not out of the question for 2013.
Right now there are no full time teams confirmed to be running Dodge cars in 2013 and the part time team of Robby Gordon has not made it’s plans known. Gordon had previously said he would continue to run Dodge cars and hoped for additional resources.
- JGR close to extension with Toyota: Joe Gibbs Racing plans to sign a long-term extension with Toyota within the next month, ending any speculation it could move to Dodge. “We’re working on that,” JGR president J.D. Gibbs told ESPN.com on Sunday after Denny Hamlin’s victory at Kansas Speedway. Dodge has been looking for a team to anchor its 2013 program since Penske Racing announced earlier this year it would leave the manufacturer for Ford next season. JGR, since its contract with Toyota is up after this season and because the organization has the infrastructure to build its own engines, became a natural target. Gibbs said that is not a consideration (ESPN)(4-23-2012)