Jets finally cut ties with Mark Sanchez, sign Michael Vick


The New York Jets have finally cut ties with former starting quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Sanchez, 27, had been with the Jets since the 2009 season after the team drafted him fifth overall in that year’s draft.

“I’d like to thank Mark for everything he’s done for this team and me personally,” head coach Rex Ryan said in a team released statement. “We were rookies together and had some early success, becoming the first rookie head coach and quarterback to go to back-to-back championship games. We experienced a lot together and I really appreciate Mark. He’s a great player, a great teammate, and I wish him nothing but the best.”


Sanchez and the Jets reached the AFC Championship game in each of his first two seasons before falling to 8-8 and and then 6-10 in 2011 and 2012. The Jets drafted Geno Smith in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft while Sanchez suffered a shoulder injury and missed the entire season.

Sanchez was owed a $2 million roster bonus if he were on the roster on March 25. The Jets will save $8.3 million against the salary cap with his release.

The news coincides with the signing of Michael Vick.

Vick will earn $5 million over the course of his one-year contract.


“He’s here in a role where he’s going to compete and push Geno Smith to become the very best that he can be.” said Jetes offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg.

Vick, 33, appeared in seven games last season completing 54.6-percent of his passes for 1215 yards five touchdowns and three interceptions. Vick added 306 yards on the ground scoring twice.