“I don’t know, we’ll see,” Cutler said when asked if he would play in Sunday’s game. “Going through the process, still a few things to go through this week and we’ll see how it goes.
“Got to see some more doctors. Got to go out on the field and make sure you can exert yourself, and it’s a personal thing making sure you feel ok.”
The Chicago Bears quarterback was diagnosed with a concussion after an illegal hit by Houston Texans linebacker Tim Dobbins. The hit occurred in the second quarter of the contest on Nov. 11. Dobbins was fined $30,000 for the hit but Cutler declined to call the hit malicious.
“I don’t think there’s ever really malicious intent,” he said. “It’s a reaction game. Guys aren’t out there planning on taking guys out. There’s not enough time for the brain to really fire like that. He’s out there reacting. He’s playing football.”
Cutler did say that he intends to return to the field this season. Further causing pause for concern is that the offensive line Bears struggled to protect backup quarterback Jason Campbell on Monday as they 32-7 to San Francisco.
The Bears were 7-1 before the game against Houston, they are now 7-3. Last year the Bears were in a similar position when they lost Cutler for the season. They ended last season 8-8.