Colton Herta inks extension with Andretti

Colton Herta is not going anywhere. Well… he’s not going anywhere without the No. 26 Andretti Autosport car.

On Friday Andretti Autosport announced that it had signed a two-year extension with Herta that begins with the start of the 2022 season ending speculation that the 21-year-old could be looking to seat hop. Lead sponsor Gainbridge will sponsor Herta’s entry during that time.

“Colton has already shown so much potential in the short time he’s been in the series and having a great partner like Gainbridge recognize and support that potential is great for everyone,” team owner Michael Andretti said. “If the start to the 2021 season is any indication of the future success for the program, I think we have a lot to look forward to over the next few years.”

Herta made history in 2019 when, at age 18, he became the youngest driver to win an IndyCar Series. Earlier this season Herta won the street course race at St. Petersburg.

Fans clamoring for an American driver in Formula One had been keeping an eye on the contract status of Herta. Now they will have to shift that focus elsewhere

“I’m incredibly happy to be back with Andretti Autosport for the next two years. I’ve grown so much with this team, so it was a no-brainer when I got the chance to re-sign with Michael,” said Herta.

Comments Closed