The Baltimore Ravens released running back Ray Rice on Monday after a new video emerged online of him hitting his then-finance in a Atlantic City hotel elevator in February.
Shortly after Rice was released by the Ravens the NFL suspended the former running back indefinitely.
Rice had been suspended for the first two games of the 2014 season, a punishment that was criticized nationally as being too lenient. The NFL has since changed its domestic abuse policy.
Earlier Monday the NFL said that they did not have access to the TMZ video of Rice striking Janay Palmer.
“We requested from law enforcement any and all information about the incident, including the video from inside the elevator. That video was not made available to us and no one in our office has seen it until today.” said spokesman Brian McCarthy.
Rice had three years remaining on his contract at $4 million this season, $3 million next season and $3 million in 2016. The Ravens will not owe Rice any money.
The 27-year-old Rice was coming off a down season in 2013. Coupled with the recent video and NFL suspension it is safe to wonder if he has played his last down of football.