Lovie Smith noncommital on status of Jay Cutler following concussion

On Monday, Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith could not answer questions about the status of the teams quarterback Jay Cutler. Smith did offer that the Bears quarterback is “getting better” and said that Cutler has shown no ill effects from the concussion that knocked him out of Sunday nights game against Houston.

When asked about the performance of backup quarterback Jason Campbell, Smith said, “None of us played well enough to win.”

Campbell was 11-for-19 for 94 yards after replacing Cutler in the second quarter.

Smith did mention that the Bears believe Cutler was injured on the hit by Houston’s Tim Dobbins. Prior to leaving the game Cutler was 7-for-14 for 40 yards with two interceptions.

This is the third concussion that Cutler has suffered since joining the NFL, his second since being acquired by the Bears.

Bears defensive end Shea McClellin also left the game early after suffering a concussion. His status is also unknown.

Cutler is not the only quarterback to leave a game this weekend with a concussion. Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick may be done for the season after suffering one against the Dallas Cowboys. Alex Smith of the San Fransisco 49ers also left their Sunday game against the St. Louis Rams after suffering a concussion. The Bears will play the 49ers next Monday.

The time table for concussion is uncertain in football. Earlier this year Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III returned from one the following week while Detroit running back Jahvid Best has been out for over a year after suffering one.