O’s call off Balfour deal, pitcher says he is fine

getty images

getty images

The Baltimore Orioles pulled a two-year contract offer to pitcher Grant Balfour.

Balfour, 35, was set to make $15 million over the course of the deal but the Orioles had concerns about the status of his right shoulder.

In 2005 Balfour underwent surgery but has had no problems since. He was an All-Star last season with the Oakland Athletics posting 38 saves.

Since pulling their offer for Balfour the Orioles say they will seek alternative options. It was reported earlier on Friday that the team was targeting Fernando Rodney.

While the Orioles had concerns about Balfour’s shoulder the pitcher maintains that he is 100 percent healthy.

“I’m the All-Star pitcher I was last season,” Balfour said. “My shoulder is fine, everything is fine. I’m ready to come out there in the ninth inning, do what I do.”

Obviously this fiasco will damage the market for Balfour but there is still a list of teams looking for closers and no one has filled any of those spots in recent days. Balfour should have no problem finding a major league contract but it may come with incentives.

Sign Up For Our E-mail List

  • MLB Stories Delivered To Your Mailbox
  • Trending News from NFL, NASCAR, WWE & More
  • Easy Access to Return to Our Site

Get e-mails from Tireball Sports now!