Cowboys keeping C.J. Spillman on roster, will make decision if charged

cjspillman
The Dallas Cowboys will not make a decision on the roster status of safety C.J. Spillman unless he is charged or arrested in connection to a sexual assault investigation that stems from an incident on Sept. 20 at a Grapevine, Texas hotel.

Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett cautioned reporters that the team would wait until a decision is made by authorities on whether or not to charge Spillman.

“I think you have to be careful with just accusations and allegations in this situation,” Garrett said Thursday. “When someone is officially charged or arrested for something, that’s when it becomes a different situation in our minds. For now, he’s a member of our football team and will take part in everything we do to this point.”

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Thursday the league has been “looking into the matter and will continue to do so.”

The incident involving Spillman occurred prior to the Cowboys flying to St. Louis to face the Rams. Spillman went on to play against the Rams and against the New Orleans Saints last week. The special teams player has two tackles in four games.

“I think that’s the definition of due process,” Garrett said. “There has to be a charge or an arrest made and then due process begins. We’re certainly not at that point in this situation.”