Michael Vick re-signs with Eagles, will compete with Nick Foles for start


Michael Vick will compete for starting job. Image/GETTY

The Philadelphia Eagles have restructured Michael Vick’s contract and will keep him in 2013. Vick, who will be 33 in June, could make up to 10 million next season according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Vick had been set to make $15.5 million in the third season of a six-year, $100 million contract.

According to Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Vick has signed a three-year contract which, for salary cap purposes, will void to a one-year deal on March 15.

Vick started just 10 games in 2012, completing 204-of-351 pass attempts for 2,362 yards with 12 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Vick missed a few weeks late in the season due to a concussion. His position with the team came into jeopardy last season, when inconsistency and injury led the team to start rookie QB, Nick Foles.

Vick will not just be given the starting spot; he will compete for the start with Foles, according to coach Chip Kelly during an afternoon press conference, “There’s open competition. Both of them are outstanding quarterbacks. Who the starting quarteback is will be decided on the practice field,” Kelly said.

Kelly did agree that Vick would fit with his landscape well, “There’s a skill set that Mike has that really excites me. … I look at his skill set, how he can throw the football, how he can beat you with his feet,” Kelly said.

When asked if both QB’s would be on the team at season start, Kelly said he hoped so and, “In this league, you gotta have two (quarterbacks).”