Kyle Busch Motorsports (KBM) announced on Tuesday that it had signed driver Joey Coulter to a contract for 2013. Coulter will compete for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series drivers championship in 2013.
Coulter has been driving the No. 22 truck for Richard Childress Racing this season. The 22-year-old has recorded three poles and claimed his first Truck series win at Pocono Raceway in August.
“To say that I am excited about the opportunity to drive for KBM would be an understatement,” Coulter expressed. “Kyle Busch is a driver that I have always had a lot of respect for and looked up to because of his raw talent. Since I was 8 years old, winning races and championships in one of NASCAR’s top three series has been a dream and a goal of mine — I feel that joining KBM gives me a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to accomplish those goals. They are a team that has a winning attitude and have proven numerous times that they are capable of getting to victory lane. It is an honor to be given the chance to bring them their first driver championship.”
This is not the first time that KBM has hired a full time driver for one of its trucks. Jason Leffler was slated to run for the Truck series title this season but after disappointing results he was released.
“With the addition of Joey Coulter to KBM’s Truck Series program for the 2013 season we have accomplished our goal of having a talented young driver competing full-time for a driver’s championship,” owner Kyle Busch said. “Joey has been running up front, competing for wins this year and we feel like he is ready to have a breakout year. With the personnel we have in place at KBM and the support we receive from Toyota, we’re going to do everything possible to make sure that he is in a position to bring home a championship next season.”
Busch has expressed the desire to run multiple trucks in the series. Busch said earlier this week that he wanted to give Ross Kenseth, son of 2003 Cup champion Matt Kenseth, an opportunity in 2013 but cited concerns about sponsorship.